Life is a Metroidvania
As a kid, the world is full of items you can’t reach and places you can’t access. Like Samus. Life is a Metroidvania, especially in the early years.
This episode draws parallels between young kids hitting milestones and gamers progressing through these quest-laden classics. Learning to crawl is like acquiring the Morph Ball. Also, figuring out how to open a childproof latch is a metaphorical key item.
In addition to connecting dots, I do a quick breakdown of the term “Metroidvania” and wax nostalgic about some favorites from the NES era.
- Intro and greeting (01:03)
- Don’t worry; this is not an episode about parenting (01:32)
- “Metroidvania” is a portmanteau. What’s a portmanteau? (06:08)
- A pseudo-history of the Metroidvania (06:58)
- Oddly, the original Castlevania was not a Metroidvania. Conversely, were Zelda and Metal Gear? (13:07)
- So … life is a Metroidvania for a little kid, how? (18:14)
- SWS: Amazon Echo, my voice-controlled best friend music player (29:16)
- And finally, a call for feedback and the closing (40:37)